CFP due date: February 28, 2020
The Paul R. Jones Initiative (PRJI) fosters educational inquiry, interdisciplinary engagement, and critical thinking with and through African American art at the University of Delaware. Founded in conjunction with the gift of the Paul R. Jones Collection, the Initiative supports a broad range of programming intended to strengthen the collection and its interconnectivity with campus life and community. The Initiative supports faculty and student teaching and research related to the collection and curricular outreach related to American arts and culture in dialogue with Africa and its diaspora.
Sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences the PRJI centers and foregrounds the arts through its support of interdisciplinary practices.
The Paul R Jones Initiative (PRJI) will provide up to $2000 for programming in support of its mission, inclusive of funding for visiting artists and scholars. Requests for funds to scale up events already planned will also be considered.
- Requests for funding for Fall 2020-Spring 2021 are due by 5:00 PM February 28, 2020.
- Departments, programs and units working toward collaborative programs may combine funding requests. The PRJI encourages collaborations with the arts portfolio.
- Funding requests should include rationale, projected timeline and itemized budget.
Departments, programs and units receiving PRJI funds are reimbursed upon completion of the program and receipt of budget reports and documentation of the program (synopsis suitable for digital archive with images).
The PRJI is also soliciting nominations for the distinguished Annual Paul R. Jones Lecture for AY 2021 & 2022. See details below. Nominations should include name of nominee, rationale, and expected campus impact. The Annual PRJI Lecturer Fund allowance is $5000 (inclusive of honorarium, travel, accommodation). Departments/units would be asked to cost share or seek contributing funds from others, if the expenditures for the proposed nominee would exceed $5000.
Annual Paul R. Jones Lecture:
The Paul R. Jones Annual Lecture honors Paul. R. Jones and his gift of African American art to the University of Delaware. Since its arrival at UD, the university has supported a wide range of research and curricular programming using African American art as the seminal point of departure. This includes American art and culture in dialogue with Africa and its Diaspora.
The Annual Lecture underscores the relationship and importance of African American art to the broader curriculum, brings attention to African American and African diasporic programming, and showcases an individual whose contributions to the field are exemplary, interdisciplinary, and inspiring.
Previous Paul R. Jones Lecturers hosted by UD include: Gloria Wade Gayles, Richard Long, Rick Powell, Alison Saar, Keith Morrison, David Driskell, Mel Edwards and Jayne Cortez, Sonya Clark, Thomas Allen Harris, Ty Jones, Fo Wilson, Mabel O. Wilson, Allan deSouza (Fall 2019)
- Requests for funding and nominations should be sent to Tracy Jentzsch, Program Coordinator for the IHRC/PRJI: email@example.com
- In the subject heading of the email, please write: PRJI AY21 and your name: e.g. PRJI AY21_Jones.
- Questions pertaining to the Paul J. Jones Initiative: contact Julie McGee, Director of the Interdisciplinary Humanities Research Center, Associate Professor of Africana Studies and Art History: firstname.lastname@example.org & phone 302.831.4288